Common sense seems to be rare in nutrition.
Here we have 20 nutrition facts that need to be common sense (but obviously aren’t).
1. Artificial trans fats are not suitable for human consumption – trans fats are terrible, as do studies have shown that they’re very harmful. To produce them, it involves heat, hydrogen gas and high pressure in the presence of a metal catalyst.
2. You do not need to eat every 2-3 hours – you should eat when you are hungry, but choose nutritious and healthy food. Studies show that frequent meals have no effect on body weight or fat burning.
3. Mainstream media shouldn’t be trusted for nutrition information – it may be responsible for all the nutrition uncertainty.
4. Meat does not rot in your colon – proteins get broken down in your belly by stomach acids, and the rest of it gets dilapidated in the small intestine. All of the proteins, fats and nutrients are moved through the digestive wall and into the body. And there isn’t anything left to “rot” in your colon.
5. Eggs are among the healthiest foods you can eat – some studies show that cholesterol from the eggs doesn’t raise the blood cholesterol in most of people. The yolk is where almost all of the nutrients are found.
6. Sugary drinks are the most fattening aspect of the modern diet – sugar-sweetened drinks are the most fattening of all. Added sugar is terrible, and that turned into fluids is even worse.
7. Low fat does not equal healthy – studies show that low-fat diets don’t work. Natural low-fat foods are good, but processed low-fat foods are filled with harmful ingredients.
8. Fruit juice is not that different from sugary soft drinks – fruit juices contain the same amount of sugar as soft drinks, such as coca-cola. If you want to keep away from sugar for health reasons, you should avoid fruit juices as well.
9. Feeding your gut bugs is critical – you may know that we are only 10% human and the gut flora (bacteria in the intestine) outnumbers human cells 10 to 1. Bacteria need to eat, just as your body, so their favorable fuel source is soluble fiber. So it may be important for you to incorporate plenty of fiber in your diet.
10. Cholesterol is not the enemy – the main factor of risk of heart disease is a type of lipoproteins that carry cholesterol, but not the cholesterol itself.