Most of the things that people are advised to do in order to lose weight are not evidence-based.
Here are 26 tips that are actually based on evidence.
1. Eat eggs for breakfast – this can help you eat fewer calories for 36 hours, and lose more body fat and more weight.
2. Drink water, especially before meals – boosts metabolism by 24-30% over a period of 1-1.5 hours. Half liter of water, 30 minutes before meals can help dieters lose 44% more weight.
3. Drink coffee, preferably black – the caffeine can boost the metabolism by 3-11%, and increase fat burning up to 10-29%.
4. Drink green tea – it has small amounts of caffeine, but combined with its antioxidant called catechins can enhance fat burning.
5. Take a glucomannan supplement – a type of fiber that absorbs water and “sits” in the gut for some time, and makes you feel full, which helps you eat fewer calories.
6. Cook with coconut oil – boosts metabolism by 120 calories per day, and reduces your appetite.
7. Eat less refined carbs – this is linked to obesity.
8. Cut back on added sugar – it is bad for your health, so make sure you read the labels, before eating a product, even though it says it is a “healthy food”.
9. Go on a low carb diet – studies show that this diet can help you lose 2-3 times more weight.
10. Use smaller plates.
11. Keep healthy food around in case you get hungry.
12. Exercise portion control or count calories.
13. Eat spicy foods – boosts metabolism, reduces appetite.