There’s more to Avocado Nutrition than just great taste.
When you eat avocado, you take in numerous health benefits that help keep your body healthy.
There are different varieties of avocado you can choose from in the market. Some of the most popular include; Lamb Hass, Fuerte, Gwen, reed, Pinkerton, California Hass Avocado…etc. They might be varying in size, taste, color, fats and calories content, but their nutritional benefits are almost similar.
When shopping for ripe avocado, use your thumb to apply some light pressure on the surface to feel the ripeness of the fruit. Ripe fresh avocado have dark green or deep purple color with a soft greenish-yellowish butter like creamy pulp.
Avoid avocados with spots, deep wrinkles, cuts on the surface or excessively over ripped has they are signs of overstayed stock.
Wrap unripe avocado with polythene paper to speed up the ripening process and when ripe, store in the refrigerator to slow down the ripening process and preserve its freshness.
Although avocados are plenty in summer, you can always enjoy benefits of avocado nutrition all the year round.
- Avocado is rich in dietary fiber that’s very vital in maintaining goods digestion process, bowel movement and cleansing of digestive track.
- When consumed often, avocado is a good source of energy. It’s rich in fats and calories than most fruits. One piece (1 oz.) of an avocado can contain up to 50 calories.
- It also a wonderful source of healthy fats (unsaturated fats). It’s one of few fruits with high amounts of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that can be used in place of saturated fats and help reduce blood cholesterol levels and decrease risk for heart disease.
- It’s packed with powerful anti-oxidants such as lutein, beta and alpha carotene and cryptoxanthin…etc that help fight off infections.
- Avocado flesh is also loaded with vitamins (vitamin A, C, E, and K) and minerals – like potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, copper…etc – that help strengthen your immune system.
Read all the health benefits and serving tips on page 2 ==>