Our immune system is responsible for discovering foreign organisms in our body such as bacteria, viruses, fungus, parasites and even cancer cells. These foreign invaders of our bodies bring with them antigens, substances that inform us that we are carrying inside us unwanted matters that don’t belong there. Our immune system produces antibodies, which bind to the invaders and signal other immune cells to come and destroy foreign bodies.
Theoretically our immune system should be strong enough to defend us against those diseases, but there are many causes that make our system weak, such as:
- Nutritional deficiency of the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, enzymes and oxygen. Your body no longer has all the building blocks it needs to produce enough of healthy immune cells;
- Toxins, chemicals and medicines can also affect the functions of our immunity. This is why it is so important to avoid toxins and get rid of them from our body;
- Improper eating habits – too much sugar and carbohydrates, junk food, soft drinks, not enough vegetables, fruits, nuts, fish and olive oil;
- Stress, especially long term can cause burnouts and exhaustion leading to lowering our immunity by nearly 80%;
- Lack of sleep and overall tiredness. Our body needs rest, time to regenerate and repair damages;
- Cigarettes, alcohol, narcotics are definitely lowering our immune system.
So, how can we boost our immunity?
What comes first to mind is changing our lifestyle that reflects our consciousness about what we do with our body. We must eat healthy food that has all the substances that help us to protect our immune system – vegetables, fruits, nuts, fish, high nutrition food products.
One more thing that you probably all know – drink a lot of water, preferably 8 glasses a day. Water is needed for every cell in our body. Drinking water cleanses and get rids of toxins, keeps us strong and healthy.
Physical activity, proper deep breathing that keeps our oxygen levels high, positive mental attitude, happy relationships are very important for a strong immune system.
And these are well known foods and vitamins that are very helpful when it comes to immunity:
- Garlic – mainly used to fight colds, but there are many other benefits we get from garlic that has allicin as one of components that kills bacteria, viruses, fungus, increases activity of natural killers as well as it prevents the growth of cancer tumors.
- Echinacea – a powerful immune booster that was used by American Indians for hundreds of years to fight infection and diseases.
- Vitamin C – very effective in fighting infections, such as flu and colds.