People in recent years have turned to soy or various vegetables to find protein alternatives. Believe it or not algae, is becoming the next super food. Here is why:
1. Demand for protein alternatives is rising
– In recent years people have started to turn to other plants for protein such as: beans, peas, rice and potatoes. While there are various vegetables that contain healthy sources of protein, microalgae are between 50-60% proteins. It is also packed with vitamins A, B, C, and E, fiber and other minerals.
2. Macro-algae and micro-algae
– Algae has 2 different categories: macro-algae (larger, include varieties such as kelp and other seaweeds) and micro-algae (includes thousands of different species, has more use than just as protein source – potential application as a biofuel).
3. Micro-algae powder
– A US company called Solazyme, has recently began working on a micro-algae powder that will be available for use in cooking, baking and making smoothies.
4. Other surprising protein sources
– Because it still may be a while before you can buy affordable algae, you could use some other protein alternatives, such as:
– Avocados – a cup of avocado contains more than 4 grams of protein.
– Chickpeas – half a cup of chickpeas contains over 7 grams of protein.
– Green peas – contains 8 grams of protein per ounce.
– Hemp seeds – contains 6 grams of protein per ounce.
– Pumpkin seeds – one ounce of pumpkin seeds contains 9 grams of protein.
– Sun-dried tomatoes – one cup of sun-dried tomatoes contains 8 grams of protein.
While you wait on algae to be available, try to include some of these foods to your daily diet. You can begin to eliminate your dependence on meat and concentrate on healthier options and protein alternatives.