It is said that two handfuls of cashews, is a therapeutic equivalent of a dose of Prozac. Research shows that a lot of people turn to nutrition foods instead of prescription drugs. This is also the case with cashews, which is high in tryptophan. Dr. Andrew Saul, a therapeutic nutritionist, says that, several handfuls of cashews a day, provide 1,000 – 2,000 mg of tryptophan, which will work as the same as prescription antidepressant. When the body drops in serotonin which triggers depressive episodes, the tryptophan can boost it again. The body turns the tryptophan into serotonin, which is a major contributor to feelings of good mood, healthy sleep and sexual desire.
The high levels of vitamin B6 and magnesium found in cashews can help stabilize mood. Cashews are also packed with dietary fibers, protein and a rich supply of minerals and vitamins that can contribute to overall health. Other health benefits of cashews are improved oral and bone health, a healthy heart, anemia, gallstones, relief from diabetes, and strong muscle and nerve function. They also encourage a better immune system, because they are full of antioxidants.
34.26 grams or ¼ cup is equivalent to one serving of cashews and provides:
– 25% of your daily magnesium necessity
– 28.1% of your daily tryptophan necessity
– 28.4% of your daily magnesium necessity
– 37.5% of your daily copper necessity
Here are also some other amazing health benefits of cashews:
1. Healthy heart – cashews are cholesterol free, have low fat content and the antioxidants keeps you away from heart related diseases.
2. Prevents cancer – one of the major cashew benefits. Proanthocyanidins and high copper content in cashews help fight against cancer cells.
3. Lowers high blood pressure – magnesium present in cashews helps to lower the blood pressure.
4. Helps bones to stay firm – magnesium, the main content in cashews, is very important for the health of the bones.
5. Prevents gallstones – taking cashews daily can reduce the risk of gallstones up to 25%.
6. Helps digestion – cashews help in growth and development, and also digestion.
7. Healthy gums and teeth – the magnesium in cashews gives healthy teeth and strong gums.
8. Helps hair – cashews are full of copper content, which is a mineral that helps your hair to get that color.
9. Healthy nerves – magnesium prevents calcium from getting into the nerve cells and thus keeps the muscles and blood vessels relaxed.
10. Macular degeneration – cashews can filter Sun’s UV rays, which is a protection from macular degeneration.